Subutex at last

Have your say
Cat67

Subutex at last

Post by Cat67 »

Hi everyone,

My son got his subutex prescription after a very long six week wait, he was prescribed 8mg. He was on this dose for a month and I can't tell you how much better he was. There was no chasing after heroin, begging for money or shoplifting. Some kind of normality appeared to be returning but I always had a feeling that it couldn't be this easy. His dose was then reduced to 6mg and after 12 hours he went into horrific withdrawal, and I was straight back into that horrible place that we all know. However, he somehow got through it( I never wanted to see him in that state again but I had to be there for him) he went to get his tablet the next day, he wasn't himself for a couple of days but the 6mg is holding him now. I am so desperately proud of him, even though this nightmare has turned me into an anxiety ridden wreck. He has agreed to reduce by 1mg next time as he had no idea that he would have to go through severe withdrawal again. We have learnt that it is trial and error with the reduction programme, the doctor did not say that he would suffer so badly. We'll see what happens on the next reduction........

Much love to you all xx
gloria1953

Re: Subutex at last

Post by gloria1953 »

Dear Cat

I am glad to hear that the subutex is working and you are right it is trial and error. I am curious as to why they are reducing it so soon though.

I very much hope he is also partaking of the support services on offer as if you don't get to the cause, the problem will not go away - it will just pop up another time. Although my son had keyworkers he did not attend meetings or get counselling - he insisted on doing his way. Although he has not done heroin again he has had a relapse - he shot up cocaine and is now in hospital with endocarditis - an infection in his heart valve. If I hadn't thought quickly he would be dead now.

Addiction is a life sentence make no mistake and I very much hope that your son works his programme so that there is less of a chance of relapse.

Onward!

G
Cat67

Re: Subutex at last

Post by Cat67 »

Hi Gloria,

I am so sorry to hear about your son, addiction really is hell on earth. I really don't know how us Mums are living through all this, I have to say I am destroyed by it and I have been through a lot of stuff in my life but this tops it all. I hope your son recovers soon. My son saw his key worker the other day and she told him that the reductions only come in 2mg. My son said he knows what to expect for next time and will prepare himself for it and I will stay away while he gets through yet another withdrawal. He has been advised to stay on the 6mg for a month before he does the next reduction ......... He does go to a group on a friday, however, he has been offered various drugs by other people in the group. it beggars belief really but nothing surprises me anymore, we have to soldier on I guess.

xxxxx