Unsure if relapsed

Have your say
RoxanneT

Unsure if relapsed

Post by RoxanneT »

Hi everyone,
I’m just wondering if people have experienced the same old red flags of drug use with their partners during their recovery and what you did about it?
My partner had a 20 odd year long cocaine and alcohol addiction that he hid it very well from me at the start of our relationship. I found out about 2 years in when I was already pregnant with our daughter. It’s been pretty hellish since then, I have left once but came back.
He attended rehab for 3 weeks and things improved for a while but I’m seeing red flags again, mainly awful moods very aggressive, not bothering to sleep/get up, money seems to be missing, over working himself, avoidant.
He has Supposedly been clean over 100 days now, has been attending meetings & has a sponsor and is just starting step 4. He isn’t receiving any therapy nor is he having therapy with me like he is meant to be as per his exit plan from rehab.
I’m just not sure what to think or do really I’m not sure it’s acceptable that he isn’t sticking to these things especially when he is becoming so agressive and verbally abusive again. Maybe he’s just like that?!
Sorry this is a lot of info and only the tip of the iceberg as such, but yeah if anyone has had similar experiences I’d love to hear.
Bee88

Re: Unsure if relapsed

Post by Bee88 »

Hi Lucy.

I can relate to your situation. I have been with my partner for 3 years and he has recently relapsed with an occasional lapse before that.

From my experience my gut is always right and a lot of my indicators are the same as what you've listed. Money going missing, over working, snappy and aggressive when confronted. He can always provide some kind of excuse when he wants to and I second guess myself every time because I think what if this time hes telling the truth....but its never the truth! I've realised this more and more each time it happens and unfortunately the nature of his addiction means honesty is not forthcoming.

What does your gut tell you at the moment?
LM66

Post by LM66 »

Hi Lucy
My son is my addict, and I can say that cocaine turns him into a monster when he's coming down. He is agressive and verbally abusive. Positively vile! I wouldn't wish any girl to become involved with him to be honest.
You say " may be he's just like that" - even worse!
You know the signs. You have to decide what you will tolerate, and what you won't.
Time to put you and your daughter first. You certainly do not need to accept that kind of behaviour.

Much Love
L x
"You can choose to continually live in the shadow of your addict, allowing his/her chaos and drama to dictate your whole existence, or you can take control of your life."
RoxanneT

Post by RoxanneT »

Hi Guys

You’re both absolutely right. My gut tells me he has done drugs again and my instincts haven’t been wrong before. With all the lies and abuse and gas lighting that have gone on here it can be so confusing and what you said about hoping that this time it will be the truth is Just so spot on to how I feel. Still holding onto some silly hope I guess.

I don’t think he’s full on back there yet like he has been before, but something has happened for sure. The thing that makes me doubt myself even more is that unlike before he has been to rehab and is attending the meetings, receiving his chips etc, surely he can’t be doing it and doing that?! That’s a whole new level of deceit. he did attend some meetings before rehab and had a couple of counselling sessions when he was still in the full on midst of it then but that’s nothing like now. Just wow if he is, really wow :o :o

Part of the abuse unsurprisingly has been ‘economic’ as such. So financial stuff I pay for most stuff so have maxed credit cards now etc, he has damaged my cars by crashing them, all that kind of stuff, further making me feel trapped here. I have always worked before now literally since I was 14 (now 34) but my employment officially ended in feb to look after my baby for a bit longer before she is ready for nursery and school etc. I am terrified of leaving and trying to look after us on alone on benefits with all the horror stories i hear of people literally being starving etc because it’s not enough?! My family said they wouldn’t see me go without but I wonder how long it would take for that support to dwindle. I’m just very scared to take the leap and make us a new life but also don’t want this life for us?! If anyone has experience of making that change of also love to hear. Becoming a single mum right now feels very daunting to me.

It all comes in waves, the abusive stuff is very cyclic. When I spoke to women’s aid before I left before they called it intermittent reinforcement which seems about right. To add to the confusion even more. Ready to leave, on it’s ok now! Ready to leave again, no wait, it’s ok now?..... rinse and repeat. Very draining.

I feel now I am at the point I have tried literally everything that’s within my power. Even managed to get him to a counselling session with me a couple of weeks ago but sadly it didn’t go well. I thought he would compose himself better in front of this person as they are well known in the AA and CA circles and is very respected and just a lovely man but he was just crazy. This lovely
Man (he is an ex addict 29 years sober and now counsels addicts and their families) told me he didn’t want to make assumptions about what was going on with him but also said what you guys have said, to trust my instincts etc. So yeah I’m definitely feeling at a cross roads but equally restricted to my options. Possible plan would be stay for another 6 months to give him a bit more time to get some more work done, apparently up to step 7 is significant, put some money aside for myself if I can and create a plan B, and keep a diary to refer to in case I’m doubting reality again! Would love to hear your thoughts! Sorry for such a long reply!!
LM66

Post by LM66 »

Hi R
Becoming a single mum is daunting, but what would you prefer for yourself and your kiddo? A life of turmoil, abusive behaviour when he feels like it, money spent on drugs instead of paying the bills, wrecked cars - or a life of peace of mind, stability for your little one and yourself. You will adapt to being a single parent. Trust me. And situations change. It's not all horror stories, but the life you are living now, is close to it, and will become worse.
Stop putting him first - giving him time to sort himself out, he knows what he needs to do. Put him on the backfoot, and concentrate on yourself and your child. What do you want for your life? Take your power back my girl.
Much Love
L x
"You can choose to continually live in the shadow of your addict, allowing his/her chaos and drama to dictate your whole existence, or you can take control of your life."
RoxanneT

Post by RoxanneT »

Thank you L I know you’re right and I’m so sorry to hear your son is an addict. As a mother I can imagine how heart wrenching that must be. The other thing to mention is he has 2 children from a previous marriage, so my only daughters 2 sisters. We have them half the week and I am their main care provider when they are here as you could probably imagine. I know how spiteful he will be if I do leave and it’s doubtful I’ll get to see them again, it may all end up completely no contact as I don’t know how I could ever hand my daughter over to his care for a weekend for example? I just can’t trust that he is clean/would stay that way.
In fact I read a thread on here of this poor lady who’s daughter is an addict, she got clean, got custody of her daughter back but then relapsed very quickly after and ‘Partied all weekend’ and now the child is in her grandmas care. Only thing is my partner is clever, he uses at work to get through the day and then continues because of dependence, he doesn’t do it to party, it started that way in his teens of course but not anymore. he is a high functioning addict of sorts, and can be very convincing so it would be hard to know either way at a distance. but some of the states I’ve seen him in with his children in his care is just unbelievable. Not to mention the driving under the influence just thank the lord the children were not in the cars for those incidents. I haven’t allowed him to drive anywhere with my child since she was afew days old when I believed he was clean. And he calls himself a good dad.
I’m scared for them if I go and sad we may not get to be in their lives anymore. Even if he were clean there would be no amicability between us, and that won’t be because of me. And I don’t know what’s more damaging, having him be extra abusive to me when we are apart/him being in a new relationship so being abusive towards someone else in front of our daughter without me there/us being together and him being this crap dad but with me present as protector but I feel I would also then be teaching my daughter that it is ok to accept this behaviour from men/no dad at all?! It is all just such confusing scary stuff.
If anyone has been in a relationship like this with children involved I’d love to hear your thoughts especially if you did escape the situation and how you feel about having done so?
Thank you all xxx
Reallytough

Post by Reallytough »

Saddest thing is when they surface for a while. The gentle, kind person I knew in childhood. Like 2 or 3 people in one body. I only like one. I never bargained for more.

Neither did he.

How to grieve someone still with us? How to unlove?

Fear of facing the future alone. Then the anger and resentment of how it should be. Why? Blame them etc. Gets me nowhere. I'm now addicted to him. The fantasising gets me nowhere. 'Why me? questions get me nowhere.

'Why him' questions get me nowhere.

It's so hard. True sadness, pain and suffering. I'm mad, he's numb.

At meeting today, I just thought he's not mine. I don't own him, cant control him. He's not mine.

This is my mess now to sort. My life to carve.

Washed my face, cleaned my teeth, got dressed on top of pajamas - let boiler man in to get heating sorted. Hid the tears and put kettle on ... moving forward I guess.
RoxanneT

Post by RoxanneT »

Wow that is a really powerful reply thank you 🙏
Yes we don’t own them, there is no control to be had. Grieving the loss of a person who is right there in front of you. So true. So sad.
There really is a lot of acceptance of reality to be had for most of us here I feel. I was thinking back to our first date today, in hindsight he was on it then. I remember a long trip to the toilet and strange aggressive behaviour towards other people after that which I didn’t react to, it wasn’t a red flag for me at the time because it’s what my dad is like so it must’ve felt ok, familiar, nice even?! (he’s an ex marine and alcoholic) and these are my wounds I have/am still dealing with and that’s one of the good things to come out of this. Stuff I thought I had dealt with that I hadn’t is now being dealt with. I’m getting stronger.
Blessing to you I hope you’re ok.xx
Bee88

Post by Bee88 »

I can relate to so much of what is said here.

Its so hard isn't it, to try and make those decisions and to say right next time is the last time but it isn't.

Like you say we don't own them, or in fact have any control over those actions what so ever.

Like reallytough says the hardest thing is that the nice version of them surfaces....that is the stage I'm at now. An awful week last week and for now everything feels OK but if I'm honest I fear this ok feeling because I'm scared of not knowing whats to come, will it come, when will it come etc etc.

This forum makes me feel less alone, wishing you all strength x
RoxanneT

Post by RoxanneT »

Wow yes 100%. That nice time, I am there 2 right now just today. But you feel on edge don’t you? Just waiting for the next blow up. To be honest there was one blow up today, but only one altercation is a good day over here ! We were taking the kids to the park, and I took our youngest to the car as he was out there already I thought he was just waiting for us but he went mental saying he was clearing it out to get it ready and cant I ever wait etc etc. It seemed a really weird and wildly over the top reaction so I suggested he was hiding something in the car that he didn’t want me to see. That made me the devil of course. He sat behind me as I drove us to the park (youngest sits next to me in the front) and I could smell alcohol from him whenever he spoke. And I was catching whiffs of it all afternoon. I checked the mouthwash in the bathroom as I was trying to think rationally could it be something else, but it was not moved and smells nothing like what I could smell. I could smell whiskey. His drink of choice. I didn’t call him out on it as I have no proof, and not worth the torrent of abuse that would follow. He’s now at his AA meeting as I write this message.
And yes thinking ‘this is it, this is the final straw, absolutely no way I am done’ And then you stay. again :cry: I’ve never understood these types of situations fully before now, it’s easy to look at a situation like this and say that woman should just leave! What is she doing? She must be so weak! How could she keep putting her and her children through this? But it is in no way as straight forward as just leave. I have the utmost respect for women who have the strength to leave, but also the strength to stay. I don’t know which is harder to be honest.
So glad this helps you feel less alone. It’s certainly helping me also so thank you everyone xx
Mumofboys

Post by Mumofboys »

Hi All.

I haven't written for a while put do come on every so often when I need to remind myself why I have done and are still doing what Im doing and it helps my anxiety as I do have days where im not sure if I have done the right thing.

Bit of a back story, I have 4 Children and my husband is a herion addit and life at home was absolute hell, I couldn't take it anymore, 4 years I had been living in denial, hoping, praying that he would stop but it was just getting worse and I was sinking and my life had stopped and I just seemed to be getting through each chaotic day. Over the 1st lock down things got bad, disappearing for days, police at our door and demanding money all the time and all he cared about was where the next hit was coming from and said and did what ever he wanted and didn't care about me or the kids......so I made the decision to leave.....and I did, 4 weeks ago me and the kids left our family home and yes it's been hard and I didn't want to but I pushed myself and yes I still love him so much but I keep saying to myself that I have done the right thing as my children deserve to grow up in a home with no fighting and not have to worry what mood there dad will be in when he gets home and if hes going to shout at mummy for money and I can honestly say that the change in my kids is amazing, they no longer come get their dinner and go to their rooms they will go sit at the dinner table and we talk my 10 year old would always sleep in my bed, he did this for 9 months but since being in the new house he has not asked once to come in my bed and his behaviour has improved so much. I didn't realise how much my kids saw until we were out of it and they say things like...mum Im glad I don't see you cry every day....and mum its nice that dad just can't walk in in the middle of the night and wake us up cuz he was shouting at you. Its hard they miss their dad of course but they know he is ILL and they would rather see him for an hour with no shouting then hiding in their rooms cuz when ever he came home it resulted in me and him fighting or him just sleeping alllllllll day sometimes even sleeping for 2 days.

I know I have made the right decision, it was and still is the hardest thing I have ever had to do but I had no choice. I wish my husband would get clean but I know I can't make him I gave him 20 years of life, we had the best times until he decided to try herion and now it just has a hold of him and im scared it will eventually kill him. Somedays when we talk I see my old husband and I greave the life we had and Im grieving the life we should be having but have lost to this evil drug. I feel so sad for him but I don't know what else I can do...

My advice is if you have children and the bad times are out weighing the good times then be brave and make the break, you don't have to break up you can just say you need a break away from it all for a while to figure out what is going on. While I was living in the chaotic life I couldn't think about anything all I could do was survive each day, Now I have space I can actually think, get myself better and make my kids feel happy and safe. I don't know what will happen but all I know is that I want more to my life then living behind a addiction. I miss my old husband and I hate drugs and what they have done to my family but I have a choice and I choose to live.

I hope you find some happiness and I send you strength x
RoxanneT

Post by RoxanneT »

Wow that story is so heartbreaking and I am so sorry for your loss. But I also want to say how awesome I think you are for what you have done for you and your children! I’m honestly having a little cry for you it’s just so sad. But I’m over the moon for your little ones now being so much more secure and happy and it’s you that’s done that. What an awesome mumma! I really appreciate this share and advice and I am very seriously considering getting out, plan B is in the making xxx