Do they ever get completely better?

Have your say
Kasha

Do they ever get completely better?

Post by Kasha »

My bf was the nicest guy in the world. A real prince who treated me like a princess. Then he got hooked on cannabis. It completely took over his life and changed him into a different person. It’s like he became an empty, vacant shell. It totally took over his life and although he hates it, he struggles to give it up. Keeps trying and not managing so always goes back to it. He tells me each time that he wants very badly to stop, but the withdrawal makes him start again. And because he says it makes him feel good. I know they say cannabis isn’t addictive but that’s totally untrue in my experience. I’ve seen him shaking, crying and tummy in knots when he went through it before.
It’s been destroying our relationship slowly over the years. I love him wholeheartedly but I don’t know if he will ever get better? Can it ever be okay again? It breaks me every time he tries and doesn’t manage.
LM66

Re: Do they ever get completely better?

Post by LM66 »

Hi Kasha
Cannabis is not the harmful "herb" it's believed to be.
It can affect people differently, but for the most part, the " feeling good" your bf has, is really a numbing effect on his emotions. He doesn't have to deal with life, on lifes terms. When he doesn't use it, he'll no doubt be anxious and bad tempered, paranoid, lack of motivation etc - this is due to his brain being used to the cannabis.
If he truly wants to stop smoking it, he will do so, but until then, this is what you're faced with unfortunately.
I would encourage you to think of yourself, and what you want for your life. We can't force them to change sadly.
Much Love
L x
2splendourangel

Post by 2splendourangel »

Hi Kasha, Sorry to hear that your b/f is heavily addicted to cannabis and you have said that this has slowly destroyed your relationship over the years, so this must have been going on for some time now. the cannabis used these days is so much stronger than what used to be around maybe 15 years ago and the chemicals in this variety are what causes the addiction. Without knowing your lifestyle you did not say if he works I wonder how he is funding his habit as a small bag is about £30 now and that will not last him long. Your b/f will be able to stop his use of cannabis if he chooses to and perhaps he should gradually ween himself off it rather than stop completely. He could go to one of the drug organizations which can be found on the High Street not sure what they call themselves these days they used to be Turn to Us but you will find one in your local library list or somewhere like that. Most cannabis users do not want to go to the local drug drop in places and complain that is the place for crack users, but an addict cannot place themselves above others and if they do not get the help then that is there problem.
What do you want in your life? do you want someone that cannot get motivated has little interest in life in general and looks in his weed tin to give him a lift for the day. If you can keep living that way then stay with him if not get yourself out of the rut.
Sorry to sound hard but he will only change when he is ready and that might not be any day soon.
Kasha

Post by Kasha »

Hi, he has an inheritance from his Grandmother so money wise it doesn’t affect him.
I want a happy life with him and to be back to that great couple we were when we met and for a good long time after that.
Thank you for replying.
K x