One day at the time

Have your say
juliane16

One day at the time

Post by juliane16 »

Going to sleep feeling more positive. My son admitted to have an addiction and asked for help! 1st step!!
Looking at what will be, not why it was...
kee700918

Re: One day at the time

Post by kee700918 »

Hi Julianne
Was thinking about you. That's a positive step your son has made in admitting to being addicted.
Yes you can only go forwards, one day at a time, baby steps. I hope you gain some comfort from knowing you're not alone in this. Keep posting.
Hugs x
lesleerose

Post by lesleerose »

Good news Julianne you have been in my thoughts
Not sure where you live but there has been a lot of government money put into helping drug and alcohol treatment centres...
Either Google or find where they are for an assessment by the sounds of it your boy will come high in the list
One of them is called Phoenix house even if this one isn’t available if you call them they could maybe recommend
Keep posting prayers are being answered
Yours in fellowship
Lesleyrose
juliane16

Post by juliane16 »

Thank you
Unfortunately, he did again, I am not even sure to call 111, 999, done all in the past 4 days, they just send him home to do again.
I am in contact with the services in our area. He engaged with them so well , but was over the phone, today we have psychiatrist at 11, but he is in a deep sleep (spent all night up, started getting paranoid, angry and suddenly went to sleep, I am here watching him, with an oxymeter on his finger...don't really know what to do...
juliane16

Post by juliane16 »

Thank you
Unfortunately, he did again, I am not even sure to call 111, 999, done all in the past 4 days, they just send him home to do again.
I am in contact with the services in our area. He engaged with them so well , but was over the phone, today we have psychiatrist at 11, but he is in a deep sleep (spent all night up, started getting paranoid, angry and suddenly went to sleep, I am here watching him, with an oxymeter on his finger...don't really know what to do...
LM66

Post by LM66 »

Hi Juliane
I'm so sorry for what you and you're son are going through.
Personally, I think it's shocking that he's not been admitted to a psych ward. He could get detoxed at the same time, then an assessment of his mental health.
Juliane, pester everyone. And I mean pester - be the thorn in their side. Sad we have to do that, but it seems to be the way it is.
So frightening, as one of these attempts just may be successful - which doesn't bear thinking about.
Sending Love
L xx
"You can choose to continually live in the shadow of your addict, allowing his/her chaos and drama to dictate your whole existence, or you can take control of your life."
lesleerose

Post by lesleerose »

Hi Juliane
Yes pester them all your local MP the doctors the local authorities your councillors it’s shocking this young man isn’t in a psychiatric ward being on watch my sister was for a lot less ...
Call 999 it’s for emergency and this isn’t an emergency I don’t know what is
Yours in fellowship
Lesleyrose
dramaqueen

Post by dramaqueen »

Hi Julianne

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. My son went through a 4 month period of making repeated suicide attempts when he was 15. He didn’t overdose; I won’t say what he did as it could reveal his identity but he kept on presenting me with suicide scenes; we would call the mental health crisis line and sometimes we would be told to go to A&E, sometimes not. He would always be discharged back to me and I was given tips on how to minimise risk. I was literally put on 24/7 suicide watch.

My experience unfortunately is that support services just keep on putting the onus and responsibility back on the parents and I was given very little support. I have also experienced that mental health support for teenagers drops off a cliff when they turn 18 as adult mental health services are so underfunded.

Have you tried contacting social services? I agree with others that a section might be necessary and it sounds really positive that your son admits he has an addiction so he might be willing to go into rehab.

This is an incredible strain on you and your family. I recently found a local agency who offer counselling to the families of addicted loved ones. The Talk to Frank helpline gave me their number. There are a few agencies and charities around that offer this depending on your area. I also found Drugfam really helpful recently. I rang their helpline and they arranged a call with a family support worker who I have had a number of calls with.

Please try to get some time to take care of you if you can - I know it’s easier said than done. When my son went through his suicidal episode I was signed off work as it would have been too much to juggle work and the situation at home.

Sending you strength and understanding

DQ