Addicts do recover !

Have your say
Coriander

Addicts do recover !

Post by Coriander »

The road to recovery is a long one. One that needs continuous work and patience from us family members.
My partner is 7 months clean he’s working the N.A program and is doing his steps. His life has totally changed and it’s incredible.
His sister has been clean for almost 5 years now and her husband is 9 years clean.
Tomorrow we are having a gender travel party as she is expecting a baby in a few months. It’s such an incredible moment in time as she has lost babies in the past while using.
I just wanted to write this positive post as I feel we loose hope sometimes and can’t see that things can change in the lives of ourselves and the addicts in our lives but THEY CAN.
With willing and hard work the addicts in our lives can change they just have to want to change.
We must keep ourselves right and take care of our emotions and mental health as the toll can be huge.
This group has given me such support and I don’t post very often but I do read lots and I’m so thankful for this forum and the comfort it’s given me.
God is good
Have a blessed day xxx
AbiG

Re: Addicts do recover !

Post by AbiG »

I have been very sad today and I saw this and felt instantly warmed to the core. So pleased to learn of recovery in your family xxx
LM66

Post by LM66 »

Hi Coriander
That is lovely news about your family. As you say, recovery is possible, IF the individual wants to change their life around. Hard work and commitment is required.
You are 100% corrrect about having to look after ourselves, as we can easily become engulfed by our addicts life, even when in recovery.
Personally, I always have hope that my son will seek recovery, but I don't pin my own happiness on that hope. I have learned to live my life, despite what is going on in his life. Addiction is something that I choose not to have in my life - it is too destructive in many ways. He knows and understands the need for my boundaries, when he is clean ( in prison). When using, well, that's a different story.
Each of us have to find a way to survive and live through the trauma that the addiction of a loved one causes, in order to have a life. Our own recovery is no walk in the park either.
I wish nothing but the best for you and your family members future.
Much Love
L x
"You can choose to continually live in the shadow of your addict, allowing his/her chaos and drama to dictate your whole existence, or you can take control of your life."
lost77

Post by lost77 »

Hi Coriander

So pleased to hear this , long may it continue . It shows it is possible if they want it.

Best and positive wishes
Lost x
Poetry

Post by Poetry »

Thsnks Coriander.

I'm so glad that you have found the form to be a support.

Enjoy the time with your family, and fingers crossed for the new baby! Much joy I hope. P.