Cannabis

Have your say
Onmyown57

Cannabis

Post by Onmyown57 »

Hi,

Does anyone’s loved one have an addiction to cannabis alone?
My son has been a heavy user since he was 14….hes 24 next week.
Hes tried other stuff but, thankfully, doesn’t really like it although I think he’ll take ketamine every now and then.
At one point, I know he was dealing in weed but then got in trouble owing money as he’d spend all monies he got on smoking it himself 🤷‍♀️.

I’ve bailed him out financially numerous times… I know..enabling ..and I need to stop 🙄

When I look at the help and support out there, I feel I’m making the issue bigger than it is because it is ‘just weed’ and in comparison to others’ stories and tales of addiction, mine is pretty tame even though, don’t get me wrong, the chaos and mood swings and anxiety it causes is horrendous.

I know it’s not ok, my son didn’t work for years, now thankfully he’s doing a few hours each week, I walk on eggshells and I’m utterly exhausted from working so many hours to support us both as he lives with me.

I guess I just want to know that because it could be so much worse, it doesn’t mean the way he’s living is ok? 🤷‍♀️
ANAID777

Re: Cannabis

Post by ANAID777 »

Hello,

The cannabis/weed out there is extremely potent, toxic, and poisonous. I suspect it is laced with other drugs, so please do not think you are “making the issue bigger”. It is affecting your son in a majorly negative way and therefore effecting you. In answer to your question, no it is not ok.

My 35 year old son started with a serious weed addiction and not wanting to scare you is now in full blown crack addiction. As you say, if you suspect he is “dabbling” with Ketamine , it is a dangerous slippery slope.

If I could do one thing differently it would be to have not enabled him time after time. As hard as it is, if this is something you can address then I pray that you do.

Do try to stand your ground, as ultimately enabling your son, is not helping him, or you. Do find the support where you can and make sure you prioritise your own well being.

My prayers for you and your son.

Love Anaid xxx
Onmyown57

Post by Onmyown57 »

Thankyou Anaid xx

I really appreciate your post and will take your advice.
I am at a point where I have had enough, I am realising that I have done everything for my son yet he has done nothing, just continues to live as he does, making no effort to change.

Thankyou again xx
LM66

Post by LM66 »

My son started on weed, as like Anaids son, progressed to heroin. Valium was in the mix - street valium which is made with allsorts!
The strains of weed are so much stronger now, and they are dipped in various substances to make them more addictive. Very powerful.
You will know when you've had enough. The weed makes them so unmotivated for anything in life.
Much Love
L x
"You can choose to continually live in the shadow of your addict, allowing his/her chaos and drama to dictate your whole existence, or you can take control of your life."
lesleerose

Post by lesleerose »

Dear anm
I am so sorry you are going through this now you are no longer alone it’s my daughter that is the addict for many years now and like most of us on here …..I tried everything to save her but I couldn’t … you see only they can do that by either going to NA or CA meetings suggested 90 meetings in 90 days ..
Please don’t underestimate the power of weed if you put it under a microscope it is dripping with opium yes opium a heroin type drug also the dealers put other stuff through it like battery acid to make it weigh heavier
However this forum is for YOU not him because you are suffering terribly from your sons addiction… you cannot keep this up working all these hours mentally physically spiritually financially you will collapse ..
Nothing changes if nothing changes
This will get worse …never better and the unacceptable becomes acceptable
I had to get the police to put her out and that’s ok
You’re not responsible for your son’s behaviour and he won’t change to be honest my daughter would have stepped over my dead body to get her drugs of choice …
So you only have control over what you do … put him out if he refuses to engage with the local CAT team for the withdrawal
Please stay with us we are all in this together
Yours in famanon fellowship
Lesleerose
Last edited by lesleerose on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Concernedmum

Post by Concernedmum »

dear Amn i have not posted for a while and feel sorry for that as I have received so much support here when I was in a crisis.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation and the others who have posted over the last few weeks. So much pain and heartache. The drugs they each choose maybe different, but the chaos and devestation they inflict on the ones who love them the most is the same. We are all in the same situation, battling fear, confusion and exhaustion.

The only advice I can give is to put yourself first. The more we do for the addict, the worse they become. Since I have withdrawn from the chaos and madness, life has got better. My daughter has moved again, and I did not get involved either physically or financially. I see her on my terms and away from the family home, and if she lets me down, I just walk away and don't get upset. I expect very little from her and have learnt not to be disappointed. It's been a hard road and I have had to work on myself to get here, but life is better now than a year ago.

Some very wise friends on this forum has supported me and saved my family, and for that I am so very grateful. Keep posting and venting here. You will make mistakes and we will hear you. When you are ready you will make choices that put you at the centre. It's not selfish, it is preservation. And in doing that your addict will have to make his own decisions.

Stay here with us.

cM
Onmyown57

Post by Onmyown57 »

Thankyou all so much for your love and support, I really do appreciate it and am very thankful that I’ve found this forum.

Im taking on board everything you say and value all the brilliant words of wisdom 🤩 and im most definitely here to stay!

I’m processing everything I’ve read on here aswell as learning about co dependency, arming myself with information before I come up with a ‘plan’ and put it into action.

Thankyou all so so much xx
lesleerose

Post by lesleerose »

Hi again onm
There is a book called “co dependant no more “ author “ melody Beattie “ it’s very good she also has other books in this field …I thank you so much for your friendship and your example
Bless you in famanon fellowship
Lesleerose
Onmyown57

Post by Onmyown57 »

Brilliant thanks for this, I’ll definitely have a look for it. 🧡x